Saturday, July 24, 2010

My VBAC Story

The VBAC birth of Bailey Ann


Background: C-section 2 years ago for failure to progress with induction AROM(artificial rupture of membranes) and Pitocin. Isaac was asynclitic never progressed past 4 cm or had a good contacting pattern on the Pit. After nearly 24 hrs with ruptured membranes I ended up in c-section. Isaac was 8lbs11oz.

My doctor doesn't like for patients go past 41weeks due to increased meconium problems and stillbirth. She will do induction with AROM or Pitocin. I was adamant that I didn't want to get into something that I couldn't get out of so I didn't want AROM. I know that research says that pitocin ups rupture risk but I really think with careful monitoring the risk can be mitigated and is reasonable.

Monday morning we arrived for a pitocin induction. I started at 4cm/80%effaced/-2station. After 8hrs of a nice contracting pattern there was no progress. Doctor asked me what I wanted to do and I said I wanted to go back home. So she sent me home to come back on Thursday to try again.

Monday night I was up to the bathroom several times in addition to the regular pee trips for upset bowels which I attributed to unusual eating on Monday--fast food eggs for breakfast, etc. It wasn't diarrhea but loose and I felt like I was going to have it later. I was sleeping 1-2hrs between(quite normal for my pregnant bladder).

Isaac woke up at 6am Tues morning so I got up with him and Chris was getting ready for work. I wasn't feeling great but said I thought he should go to work but give me time to get a shower first. In the shower I was feeling worse & worse--crampy more so than well defined contractions. I got out of the shower and decided I definitely didn't feel up to watching Isaac by myself.

I called mom about 730 and she came over and timed my cramps--when you feel yucky timing it is difficult. So I was cramping every 2-4 min. So she insisted that we go to the hospital. We called my mother-in-law to come get Isaac and got our stuff together for the hospital. The ride was rough because of being strapped in and not able to reposition plus every bump makes things worse.

We arrived to the hospital around 9am. I was 5cm/100%. I kept having contractions double up on each other which made them harder to cope with and slowed my progress some, I think. So I was at 6cm from about 10-1130 or 12. I was at 8/9 by around 1pm and about 15 min later I was feeling like I wanted to push a little but hadn't been checked and I preferred the doctor to be there before I started. I've heard enough about lacerated cervix to not want that.

My water broke which was actually a relief and took the pushing pressure off for a minute before the next contraction. There was light meconium staining but not bad. After a few more contractions I had to push, ready or not, and the doctor was there. It took about 15-20 minutes to push her out.

I've always heard about the "ring of fire" when a baby crowns but in all honesty I was totally unaware of what progress I was making at all. It was a huge surprise when they said one more push and we'll see her ears--I had no idea she was that far out already.

According to the doctor she did a full 360 on her way out and the cord was really twisted. She also had a hand up by her face. They put her on my belly to cut the cord and nurse her. Everyone commented what a big girl she was but having a >95 percentile 2 year old any newborn looks small. I figured they'd say 8.5llbs maybe. I was very shocked when they said 9lbs12oz.

I ended up with a few small tears that got stitched and a small hematoma. My biggest pain is symphysis pubis pain which I think I would have to some extent regardless of delivery mode (squatting to pick the garden 2 days prior may have been a poor choice) since I've had SPD (symphysis pubic dysfunction) symptoms since about 28 weeks. The chiropractor majorly helped this during pregnancy and so I think a few follow up visits were helpful while things tightened back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment